New comer to Mini Turbo website

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
Thomas_hmlo

New comer to Mini Turbo website

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I have been driven a Japanese spec 98 Mini Cooper Sportpack for almost 7 years. Going thru quite a bit of engine, exterior and interior modification. I have finally taken the plunge to sell my beloved Mini Cooper recently. I know it will take a while to get used to life without the classic Mini.

I always like the Sportpack but ERA is still my favorite. Seeing many beautiful and original look ERA here is wonderful. Wish one day I can have my own ERA.

An old original

Re: New comer to Mini Turbo website

Post by An old original » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Welcome to our small band of ERA fans and owners

paul

Post by paul » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Hello and welcome.

No other mini like a ERA.

Paul

Thomas_hmlo

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks for your reply. I am living in HKG and there are not many ERA here - only 2.... one is BRG but it is rotten, with wood central clock, MK1 door hinge, Innocenti boot lid, MK1 grille. It is not road worthy. The other one was red... but it is now "mutated" to a light purple color, no body skirt..... Originally, I was thinking to buy either one of them and restore it. But, maybe an better idea is to found a good ERA in UK / Japan and ship it to Hong Kong....

Seeing and compare more and found UK spec / Japan spec ERA are quite different.

An old original

Post by An old original » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:14 pm

It would be good if you have the time/money etc to "rescue" one of those you mentioned, but I understand if you can't.
I think you'll find that you'll have a better chance of getting a Japanese one as there were more exported there than were left in the UK. Also the Jap ones had air con as standard which would probably be better for you considering where you are in the world.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do

Thomas_hmlo

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:18 am

I do agree that Japanese spec will be more suitable because of the weather in HKG. Driving in summer time without air con is no fun....

Resure the ones in HKG will definitely need a lot of money.... plus they are both missing some of the original genuine parts.... On the other hand, it will definitely be an interesting project.

I am not in a hurry.... wait for the right time to come.

paul

Post by paul » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 pm

I have a Black Japanese one and a green UK one, and have had a red Japanese and a green uk one that went to Japan and I broought it back too! the later two cars are owned by listers on this forum.

The Japanese ones have the A/C and wider front arches and number plate plinths for the bigger oblong plates they use in Japan and a cat overheat warning system. The Japanese tend to be later built cars with more of the the Roverisation of the mini range coming into play and the late ones even loose the turbo bonnet badge.

Japanese will be in better condition body wise but possibly needing some paint due to sun damage.

I looked at sending some Japanese cars to Japan a few years ago and wer ran into problems with age restriction? Are you ok to import older cars as classics or something?

Original cars appeal more to me but it is hard getting these in Japan as they do tend to butcher them about.

Good luck in tracking one down.

Regards

Paul

Thomas_hmlo

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. In HKG, there is restriction on importing used car due to emission control... have to comply with Euro 4 standard. Or car with or above 20 years old.... can skip the emission test.

Same as you. Original ERA is my preference.... and Japan ERA tends to be modified at different level, which I do not prefer.... since I have already done these kind of modification in my previous Cooper.

paul

Post by paul » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:26 pm

So have to ensure 20 year rule then, Japanese standard ones can be found but most are later cars 1991 1992 and odd ones later still though these are likely 1991 ish built and late registered.

Paul

Thomas_hmlo

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 am

Paul, PM you for some questions.