The last straw?

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
deanjr7

Re: The last straw?

Post by deanjr7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 pm

hi there
been following your posts sounds like you've had some bad luck but with all that effort time and money you've put in why let someone else take all the glory tough it out mate
best of luck dean

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Oh no not more bad news.
You are not having much luck are you.
I can't believe the problems you are having.

I assume they made sure they ran clean oil through the new turbo as per the turbo technics installation instructions before fitting it.

The only other things i think it could be are not fitting valve stem oil seals or worse still incorrectly fitting the new piston rings.

I assume they will fix this free of charge as you couldnt have caused that much damage in 15 mins if it was built correctly.

I hope you get some good news soon.

All the best,
Darren.

An old original

Post by An old original » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks chaps,

The garage I use is very good. I've been using them for over ten years and they're used to the older more basic cars like ours. The chap who works on mine has several minis of his own including a turbo so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

The only snag being is that they don't do their own machine work. The block and head were shipped off elsewhere to be done.

My main concern now though is cost, it's already heading north of £3k
Much more and I will have to sell it to pay the bill - not joking

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 pm

hi there
ide like to say i wouldn't throw in the towel just yet but then its not me having to find £3k . i wouldn't do anything in haste best sleep on it .shame to give up now best of luck in your decision dean

An old original

Post by An old original » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 am

Car has now been trailered to the local turbo technics agent....

paul

Post by paul » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Check for a kinked drain hose from the turbo can cause all kinds of problems.

Paul

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:19 pm

I take it then that your engine builders suspect a faulty turbo.

A blocked drain pipe would cause a smoke problem but i doubt it would be kinked. it is a very short 90deg pipe and i wouldnt have thought that it was possible to get a kink sufficient to restrict the drainage of the oil, however i couldn't say it is impossible.

A restricted oil feed to the turbo however would cause premature wear to the bearings which would allow any oil that reached the turbo to get pulled in and burned.

One thing i did think about was if they over filled the carb with oil it may have been sucked through a bit if you were having a play with your right foot, but this wouldnt usually take too long to burn off and i suspect they would have checked this first before sending it off to turbo technics.

I hope it gets sorted and they don't try and bill you for it.

Darren

An old original

Post by An old original » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks Darren,

I've had no indication as to possible cause yet. My garage had taken it out on a couple of trips before I picked it up, without mishap, doing about 40 odd miles and I've broken-in many an engine in my time so I was quite light footed. I'll wait and see what they report.

A related, light hearted tale.....
In anticipation of the return of the car I had started to mow the lawn around the house, but the mower ran out of petrol half way through. I wasn't worried thinking this wouldn't be a problem as the car would be back the next day and I could syphon out the fuel as neccessary

Next day....

I had the car back long enough to spend £38 filling it with petrol before it went pop again..

result... Still a duff motor and half a mown lawn

anyone want to swap lives???

An old original

Post by An old original » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Car now recovered from garage no.2 by garage no.1.
Turbo taken off and sent to Turbo technics for appraisal

I've decided that I will only post on here if I also write something positive, so here's positive no.1...

At least I've missed driving my car around in all that salty slush we've had since Christmas, probably added another 6 months life to the body.

An old original

Post by An old original » Wed May 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Well, nearly 5 months to the day I have finally brought the wee beasty home.

I don't want to tempt fate but, it doesn't sound like a tractor any more and smokes less than me, and I don't smoke, but it is now decision time..