The last straw?

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
G96LUE

Re: The last straw?

Post by G96LUE » Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 pm

What was the problem with the smoke in the end?

did you get the bill for that too or was it a manufacturing fault with one of the parts?

how does it drive now?

i hope you decide to keep it, but i can understand why you are contemplating letting the beasty go.

take it for a nice drive in the country on a fine & sunny morning and see how it makes you feel. it might help with the decision.

All the best
Darren

An old original

Post by An old original » Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Dodgy new turbo, we reckon, another one has been fitted and seems to be ok

I haven't seen the bill yet, it will be posted to me in a day or two, I dare say they didn't want to see a grown man cry...

An old original

Post by An old original » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Well, here's the latest...
I've had it back for about 7 weeks now and for the first six all was ok, but I'm sorry to say the nicotene patches have now failed and it's taken up it's old smoking habit, more than a Cuban prossie (so I've been told ;) )

You can actually smell oil burning as you go along so it's going back on Thursday/Friday for another go with the mechanics...

Oh, by the way, for those interested...£3300, Included...
Bore out to +60 plus all new bits associated
new(recon) turbo
new radiator fashioned to fit (extra lower take off brazed in)
water pump
carb refurb

and a long list of all other tiddly bits required as you'd expect

I'm sure it's worth it :? :? :?

edited for a typo

paul

Post by paul » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Ouch painful bill, is it coming out the exhaust or just smell of oil in car, could just be a weaping rocker cover gasket hopefully.......

An old original

Post by An old original » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:15 pm

all out of the exhaust by the looks of it.
Blue on overrun, occasional black puffs at other times. You can hear the turbo spin up but it doesn't actually seem to propel you any faster.

Any way one good point is that when its taking me four hours to get home from work(via several hostelries);at this time of year its a bit warmer than back at the beginning of the year :D

paul

Post by paul » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 pm

valve stem oil seals? valve stems?

waste gate jammed open?

is it showing any boost on gauge?

Paul

An old original

Post by An old original » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:48 pm

apparently new valves, guides and correct turbo seals on refurb, but on inspection some of these seals had ridden up.

It was, according to the gauge on the dash, boosting to 0.2 first then onto 0.4 on real poke but didn't feel like it. Also, on full overun I do remember it sucking all the way down to -0.9 but now it only does -0.5.

I did wonder whether the issue I have with the boost modulator/solenoid (see earlier post) might have an effect but it didn't seem to. Any way I'm paying some else to get their hands dirty!!!!

Anyway returning to the origins of this post....
£7000, when fixed if anyone's interested.... :x :x :x

An old original

Post by An old original » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 pm

New nicotene patch fitted in the form of some metal capped valve stem seals which apparently holds them in place better and some new valvey thing in the plenum chamber ( he began to lose me at this point!!) and some genral fiddling but the result is that at the moment it isn't smoking..just SMOKIN'

Scared m'self coming home!!

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:00 pm

it's about time you had some good news.
i hope this time it lasts many years before the engine needs any more attention.
All the best,

Darren

An old original

Post by An old original » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:38 pm

The latest is that I removed the bolt from the u/s boost modulator and I nearly pooped myself!!!!
If you want to go faster thats the way to go.. unfortunately it blew some of the valve stem oil seals (the metal capped ones loctited in!!) so back it went for some new ones..
Bolt now back in situ, all calmed down but still very nippy and not smoking....and thats how I'm leaving it.
and with that, I think it's now time to close this thread..

I thoroughly appreciate all the support you guys have offered over the last few months..THANK YOU

Keeping/selling still don't know it's all tied in with house/work, but I intend to make to best of the remainder of the summer and make a few meets..hopefully see you out there....