R1097 - Extracted

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
paul

R1097 - Extracted

Post by paul » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 am

Hi

Eventually managed to get a day to go up and extract R1097 from Shauns garage, over 2 years since I bought it. In the mean time my business of importing japanese cars has pretty much leapt of a cliff due to the exchange rates of sterling against the dollar and yen so thats why it stayed there so long. I would like to thank Shaun and his wife for help and lots of coffee in extracting it which was probably the hardest job ever. A more difficult location could not exist 45 degree slope up to garage which is cobbled. Garage set in to the right on a dog leg with 6 inches thick mossey turf grown for 12 feet in front of the garage. Garage had earth floor and damp walls floor.

Result ERA fully ceased all wheels ceased water pump ceased alternator which had failed resulting in it being parked up circa 2001 ceased.

Jacked up and removed one rear wheel and after an hour maneged to free one wheel. Gave up and winched it part on the trailer winch rung off its handle and so jacked it up and dragged trailer under and bit and managed to eventually drag it on to trailer using big fat ratchet straps very very hard work.

Condition is not good, not assessed it really but there is a large amount of work to do..

Paul

An old original

Re: R1097 - Extracted

Post by An old original » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm

How's the bodywork? any pics?
and thinking about it, I might have a spare alternator, I'll check in the shed at the weekend if you're interested.

paul

Post by paul » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Plan to have an hour on it tomorrow and take a few pictures.

I probably have a few alternators here I will have a look first.

Thanks though.

Paul

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 pm

sounds like you had a busy day and have a few more busy days (months?) ahead of you.
guess you didnt go to stanford hall this year. i did look out for you but didn't spot and jap cars or the era about.
See you soon (probably Bingley in Jan i guess)
Darren

paul

Post by paul » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:40 am

Yes was painful!

Didnt get to Stanford this year set about sorting the minor bathroom job and turned into much bigger all weekend job!! as they do... :(

My ERA didnt come out to play at all last year other than a couple of blasts on trade plates, though been started and moved twice a week. Needs to be out next year, thinking of going over to Ireland and taking in a couple of shows in it, IMM in switzerland not appealing so far.

Paul

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:06 pm

i might be up for a trip to ireland too, so let me know your plans

paul

Post by paul » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:19 pm

STEVE

Post by STEVE » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:01 pm

That looks a sorry sight :?

What plans paul?

Steve

millermilla

Post by millermilla » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Good luck Paul, It looks better than I expected.
Keith Miller

paul

Post by paul » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Plan was to safe it from a Northern England mini place that were going to buy it to break it. So this was done. I'd restore it when I get time, or sell it for the right offer but only to someone who is going to restore it not break it up or adulterate it.

Hooked it up to a jumppack this afternoon no alternator on still, got oil pressure light volt meter moved clock came on radio came up looking for code, wipers worked lights work. Fan belt is stuck to pulleys water pump wont turn by hand Inside of engine through rocker cover looks like new which it should as it had a MED engine in it not long before it was parked up........ need some more time to have a tinker starter motor spun direct from jump pack but didnt engage as couldnt get power to the solonoid trigger side.

Think I will cut the fanbelt off change oil and see if I can get it to spin over.

Paul