One of THOSE days

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
An old original

One of THOSE days

Post by An old original » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 pm

You eventually get around to a good all round deep clean and rub down that you've been promising yourself for.... well a long time. You know the sort of thing down to the point of removing rear lenses and cleaning the reflective crome, toothbrush in the joints too narrow for a cloth, remove carpets for a clean (as you've hire a carpet cleaner for the house but more important things first!!) that sort of thing then.......
...I'll just lift the sound proofing from the floor to get the odd bit of gravel out.......and....
I've got a paddling pool in the passenger foot well :evil: :evil:
On closer inspection it looks like some numpty has attempted to jack up the car in the never-to-be touched sacred spot and split a joint in the floor pan. Down to the garage tomorrow to have a look from underneath..

An old original

Re: One of THOSE days

Post by An old original » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:41 pm

After a bit of soul searching , I've now taken the plunge and sent "it" away for some TLC. The sills needed attention andd there were odd bubbles here and there but nothing really serious. The rubber seal between the kit and the body had rubbed away paint & primer away from all that it had touched so nearly every panel needs a blow over. One new door skin and bonnet and about £4K and I might get it back by May....oh joy..Skint again :cry:

An old original

Post by An old original » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Did I say about £4k and get it back in May?????, who the hell was I kidding....
It looks like I'll be reunited with the beastie by the end of this week :D and correspondingly disunited with several £ks :cry:
Pics will be posted when poss...

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Just like a brand new one again :)

An old original

Post by An old original » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Shiney Shiney.....
A few tweeks required but on the whole ..not bad even with the fatter seal. It covers the gap better anyway!!
Attachments
DSCN0358a.jpg
DSCN0358a.jpg (157.39 KiB) Viewed 16125 times
DSCN0357a.jpg
DSCN0357a.jpg (177.58 KiB) Viewed 16125 times

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Looks nice. Very shiny. are you happy with the end result?

hopefully we will have some standard trim available soon if you decide to change it.

An old original

Post by An old original » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:26 pm

On the whole yes, but I'm a real perfectionist without the bank balance to match. There are bits I might have tried to do differently/better mainly concerning the body kit, but as it's been crunched several times I can understand that trying to get it to marry up perfectly with all the repaired patches could take a miracle worker and to be honest, it was not that good when I picked it up new all those years ago!! As for changing back to the standard trim, I don't think it would be worth the effort. I don't think I mind what's on there and put against the effort getting everything married up again with a narrower seal, that would be a nightmare

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 pm

fair enough.
I know what you mean about a perfectionist without the bank balance.
I'd like mine re-looked at. The paint isn't great and the body kit needs some stress fractures fixing. Just can't afford it at the mo.

millermilla

Post by millermilla » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Wow it looks great :D
Keith Miller

An old original

Post by An old original » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks chaps, but the joy didn't last long... Jumped in after work today and the drivers door lock decided to jam so I couldn't close the door. Usual story of "it was fine for 20+ years until jiggled with". Spent best part of an hour at work stripping all the door down so I could remove the offending item and then tie the door closed enough with string etc to see me back to the garage!!
Bits ordered should be sorted by mid-next week - maybe :?