Suspect Turbo problem on Chris's ERA

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
kayball

Suspect Turbo problem on Chris's ERA

Post by kayball » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 am

Hi all.
Just thought I would give a quick post to bring you all up to date on Chris’s ERA.
We didn’t do much last year and due to a ‘smoke’ issue I had noticed didn’t bother with the MOT. Tax and insurance is still ok, but since tax is due end of May decided to have a good go at it over this weekend. I had run the engine every month and, apart from some exhaust smoking had not done much else. We assumed that oil had probably built up in exhaust, from small turbo seal leakage, and a good run would burn it off. Unfortunately ‘Good run’ was not possible because of expired MOT, and knowing our luck (and smoke) would probably be nicked by the Law.
Unfortunately, after prolonged static engine run, smoke seemed to get much worse and we decided there was a problem. Also noticed smoke rising behind engine from what looked like an oil leak dripping on turbo exhaust flange, but difficult to see anything definite. Engine ran fine, if smoky exhaust ignored, but couldn’t check turbo due to static situation. Oil pressure is a bit low at full throttle (50psi) but idle fine at 25psi. These latter readings were measured on a spare direct gauge of unknown accuracy, as original electrical sender had got very intermittent last year and was not to be trusted. (Motto: Never put off the small repairs - they come back to haunt you!)
Set aside this weekend to investigate fully, but think a duff Turbo seal is allowing oil into inlet manifold. This is backed up by oily plugs and oily smell of exhaust. (Even light oil spray on floor, about a foot from end of pipe.)
Started to pull engine late Saturday morning (After F1 qualifying) and all ready to lift by tea time! (Before Grand National) Had to refresh some ‘shortcuts’ we had nearly forgotten, but all went very smoothly. So much so that today is a day off as no hoist until next weekend.
Initial ‘once over’ found oil in inlet manifold, but not much else at this stage.
Can anyone out there suggest another scenario that could cause these symptoms, and would Turbo oil seal failure definitely cause any drop in oil pressure?

Pete K

G96LUE

Re: Suspect Turbo problem on Chris's ERA

Post by G96LUE » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about the smoke problem.
I had a similar problem with mine and changed the whole turbo as i suspected worn bearings and it's fine now.

It is possible that worn bearings / seals in the turbo would allow a drop in pressure as the pressure switch is directly after the oil feed pipe going to the turbo, but i didn't see a difference in pressure on mine.

you could always check the pressure relief valve for signs of wear as this could cause a drop in pressure too.

If i think of anything else useful i'll let you know.

Regards,

Darren