History Request from New Zealand

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
kayball

History Request from New Zealand

Post by kayball » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 am

Chris asked me to answer the following request from NZ.

Date: 11 October 2012 02:08:25 BST
To: <webmaster@eraturbo.co.uk>
Subject: Mini ERA RJ 1334
Reply-To: "Garry Cliff" <sales@magnumprestige.co.nz>
Hello I have bought this car in Japan and have now landed it in New Zealand , I need to know the build date , month and year if possible as I can comply it here if its built in 1989 .Would it be possible that the car was built 1989 then gone to the ERA factory , any info would be a great help Regards Garry Cliff
This I have done, but thought the info may help others, so have copied it here.

Hi Garry. Congratulations for acquiring an RJ version of the ERA.
My name is Peter Kay, the father of Chris who is the Webmaster.
We have the original, hand written, registers from the ERA factory in Dunstable, which we were given by a former engineer.
That was the good news! Unfortunately, the register is not fully completed for the later Japan (RJ) cars from RJ 1046
For the UK/ European models we have the ‘sign off date’ and even the serial number of all keys, etc. With the Japan export models this has not been completed beyond the VIN serial number; Engine number and colour.
This information for your car when it left the factory is as follows:
RJ 1334; Vin Number ****501726; Colour Flame Red 89.
Unfortunately, because your car was at the very end of production of the RJ models (the last in the book is RJ 1337), even the engine number was not recorded from RJ 1331.
We have tried in vain to ascertain when most cars were exported to Japan. We have a picture, taken at Southampton, which purports to show a large number of ERAs awaiting shipment, but weather this is all 332 cars we do not know.
We only have two ‘Pass off’ dates for RJ cars, the first is 16 May 1990 (RJ 1001 to RJ 1027) and the last date is 1 June 1990 for cars from RJ 1028 up to RJ 1045. Unfortunately, beyond this car the ‘pass off’ column is blank.
We think that the VIN numbers were allocated at Longbridge, at the original Mini City stage. Since the earliest VIN number for a UK/European ERA production car we have is 425940, and this was Passed off on 17 October 1989, it is extremely unlikely that your VIN number indicates a car manufactured at Longbridge before 1990.
Sorry if this is not good news, but that’s how the numbers tell the story.
We do wish you all the very best with your car, they are exciting to drive and always attract a lot of attention at the various shows. From your address we assume you are importing for sale –Is this the case?
Please do not hesitate to contact either of us direct, or via the Web, if you think we can be of help. There is a lot of knowledge in this owners group in the UK, for both versions of the ERA Mini Turbo.
Best regards
Pete and Chris Kay.

From the above reply, does anyone
know for sure when the VIN number was allocated?

kayball

Re: History Request from New Zealand

Post by kayball » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Further to my question at the end of the previous message, re VIN number allocation, I found the answer at Page 3 of the Introduction to the Microfiche. This is copied Under 'Technical' on our Home page. It would seem on further reading that the serial number at the end of the VIN, which is the only difference between the VIN plates on our UK cars, was started in 1984 with 10001 and was consecutive for all Minis made until 1990, when the VIN format was changed. No one seems to know when in 1990 this change was implemented.
Since I haven't any record of the full VIN for RJ cars, will any owners of such please check to see if their VIN conforms to that on Page 3 of the Introduction to the Fische. If not, then please explain the differences for the benefit of archive information.
Regards
Pete K

deanojr7

Post by deanojr7 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Chris.
I too would like some information on my car please if you could be of help.
I came across a page on ARonline regarding ERA.
It states there are 1 prototype for each colour of car built.
1 targa red
1 HNA green
1 Black
1 Silver
1 White

I have noticed on the register of only 1 HNA Green,what is the difference between HNA Green and British racing green.And if possible would you know the build date of R1007 .
The person i brought No7 from purchased 3 ERA Turbos No7 No13 not sure of the other ERA,i was told at the time he was going to keep it in his garage .On my purchase receipt from ERA it has a Mr Hoskins date march 1991,which relates to your register.

If you have any information on R1007 build date,prototype ,etc HNA green or Mr Hoskins would be greatfully received.I do have all receipts and invoices, letters from ERA and a lot more information.

Hope you can be of help thanks.
Dean

kayball

Post by kayball » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Dear Dean.
R1007 is the first of the Pre-Production vehicles.
It was first registered as G983TTM as a Demo vehicle and sold to a Mr Humphries. No specific date for sale is given.

The handwritten register lists the colour as HNA Green for this car, which is unique, the remaining entries just stating Green, Red etc. From the various Rover colour lists HNA Green (found on the bottom left of the VIN Plate, located on the drivers side wing plate under the bonnet, is used for two descriptions, but both having the same BLVC (British Leyland Vehicle Colour) number. The first states:
HNA Amulet Green Metallic 1985-1995 with BLVC 617.
HNA British Racing Green, Metallic 1988-1999, also with BLVC Code 617.
I assume that the latter colour was meant as I have never heard of the former and only found it on one list.
Interesting that you state that three cars were purchased at the same time, but we have separate names for 1007 and 1013, as detailed above, Humphries for 1007 and Hoskins for 1013. Both vehicles are listed as ‘Demo’. The name Hoskins is associated with Quick’s garages and 1050 was sold to him on 12 January 1990. All these cars are British Racing Green.
We can give you the original engine number and key numbers for all doors, fuel cap and ignition if required, but only by direct mail for security.
I do hope this information is of use, though conflicting in parts.

Please contact me (Kayball) for specific enquiries, as Chris is very busy with work and I (his father) seem to have been delegated as chief reply operative!
Best regards. Peter K
(Kay519@ntlworld.com)

deanojr7

Post by deanojr7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Hello Peter.
Thanks for your response, Certainly interesting information to me.
i can now do a bit more digging.
If you do have anymore information, or you need some in return i would be happy to help.
Thanks to you both .
Dean

robr1006

Post by robr1006 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 am

I have to this point always believed that r1006 was the first production car. Whilst repairing the usual blown head gasket I discovered written on the extra water radiator " No 1 1006" It has a number of details which are different from the full production cars such as the direct mounted rear fog lights and the tabbed and riveted rather than rolled and spot welded flange around the front wheel arches.