Fueling Problems with Red Japanese ERA

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
paul

Fueling Problems with Red Japanese ERA

Post by paul » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi

The red Japanese ERA has had problems running since I got it, Ross and I had a look at it on satuday and established that the faults lie in the fuelling area.

It would start and run at about 3000 RPM if the revs were kept up and the fule pump pulsed with a power probe to keep it in fuel, if the power was put to the pump all the time the car would slowly stall and not restart until it had cranked for a minute or so, classic flooding symptoms. Puddle of fuel under the car with no obvious source.

Fuel pressure was checked and found to be about 6 psi with the power connected and when car switched off it dropped to 3 and held.

An attempt to reduce the fuel pressure resulted in finding the fuel pressure regulator could not be accesed as it was behind the air con pipes, so a known good regulator was swapped in with associated pipework and fuel pressure checked, about 5psi but dropped to zero when the power was turned off.

Car started and ran now with power to the fuel pump, investigated the fuel leak and found fuel seemed to be dribbling out of the rear of the bottom seal on the carb.

Carb was removed, this took about an hour with a specially shortened 1/2 ring spanner, access is pretty poor in a Air Con ERA.

The tamper proof screws on the bottom chamber of the carb were removed with brute force and a pairof pliers... and the bottom seal was found to be rock hard.

Turbo HIF service kit was obtained from Minispeed at the Stafford show.

Carb to be rebuild this week.

Paul

kayball

Re: Fueling Problems with Red Japanese ERA

Post by kayball » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi Paul
I had correspondence some time ago with a chap who had fitted a Metro Turbo engine into a standard Mini and was having similar problems. I mentioned the fuel pump Ballast Resistor to him, which is in circuit when the fuel pump relay is energised on release of the key. He hadn't fitted the item and after further queries as to its value (3 Ohms, 20 Watt) he fitted one and his flooding problem was solved! Have you checked if it is being brought in to service by the fuel pump relay? I know you have checked the pressure but may be worth a thought.
PK

paul

Re: Fueling Problems with Red Japanese ERA

Post by paul » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:36 pm

Hi

I have the service kit for the Tubo HIF and will rebuild it his week if I get a moment, it was leaking quite well from the bottom seal and it was rock hard when I took the bottom of the carb.

Paul