Details of ERA bonnet

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
UKAuto

Details of ERA bonnet

Post by UKAuto » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello - new guy here.

I am rebuilding a non-ERA mini with my son, and picked up some bits and pieces recently.

In our parts I have a bonnet from a Turbo car from Japan that was scraped. I want to confirm this is indeed an ERA Turbo factory bonnet as I have been told. It certainly doesn't look like an add on aftermarket bit, as the vent holes in the bonnet are very professional looking.

I included a shot from the tail edge and the underside to show details.

Anyone able to confirm if this is from an ERA? I guess the follow on question is what is it worth being a rust free one.

Cheers,

Rob.
Attachments
TrailingEdge.JPG
Bonnet trailing edge detail
TrailingEdge.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 10251 times
bottom.JPG
Bonnet underside detail
bottom.JPG (36.41 KiB) Viewed 10251 times

robr1006

Re: Details of ERA bonnet

Post by robr1006 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Welcome!

The bonnet certainly looks like a genuine ERA item, the holes look to be in the correct place. The holes should be 38mm (1.1/2") in diameter - if they are then the chances are it is a genuine bonnet. What is it worth? Ha well the question is what it is worth to you!

To re-create an ERA bonnet you need a standard one and then the Q max cutter and hole flare punch - both of which will cost around £100. So to recreate a bonnet from a Heritage panel (minus scoop) is going to cost about £250. I cant see from your picture if the bonnet has the usual crease caused by a stiff bonnet hinge which would devalue it a little.

If is possible to replace the grille surround support lip on an ERA bonnet, which is the usual area they rust. This is available from Minispares.

I have not seen a real ERA bonnet scoop available for some time - if that is in good order I would value that at £40 - £50.

Stick it on eBay and let the market decide! We will be watching!!!!

UKAuto

Re: Details of ERA bonnet

Post by UKAuto » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Being in Canada it will be interesting to see local market, but I will possibly be putting it on eBay (just hate having to ship something that size).

My goal is to get it to a real ERA that needs one, and just put a standard bonnet on my son's car.