Restoration of my ERA

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
admin
Site Admin

Restoration of my ERA

Post by admin » Sun May 22, 2016 7:28 am

After a couple of years off the road, it's time to spend some money and get my ERA back to as good as or probably better condition than it's ever been in since I've owned it.

It's at the restorers at the moment and has been stripped down ready for the work to commence, my wallet is hurting, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

They're putting an album of the work on Facebook, so the progress can be seen online.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 520&type=3

robr1006

Re: Restoration of my ERA

Post by robr1006 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:18 am

Good luck with the restoration - I look forward to seeing it back on the road, What time scale are you working to?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks Rob,

The panel work and respray should happen pretty quickly I'm hoping. Once that's done, it shouldn't take too long to get it all back together, but these things always take longer than you anticipate, so I really haven't got an exact timescale, just as soon as possible.

My only issue at the moment is that before it went to have the panel work done, I had an overfueling issue, it was as if the float valve in the carb wasn't shutting and the carb was just filling up with petrol to the point it was coming out of every pipe! The float valve was working though, I could shut it off and no longer be able to blow through the fuel inlet, a bit strange really.

robr1006

Post by robr1006 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:39 am

I have been thinking about your fuel problem - I am not a mechanic so the following comments should be taken as well meaning NOT expert!!

Your problem with flooding could still be caused by the float needle valve - the blow through using your lungs would confirm that the valve is stuck open but if it is effective to replicate sealing against full pressure I have my doubts! Try blowing on a tyre pressure gauge and see what you get!

If your car has been off the road for some time you will almost certainly find that the carburettor internals are very badly "varnished" this may contribute to a needle valve problem.

My understanding is that the fuel pressure supplied to the carb is controlled by the fuel regulator which is supplied at a constant 2 bar pressure from the fuel pump. At idle the fuel regulator will be virtually closed and sending most of the fuel back to the tank along the return line.

As manifold pressure increases with the engine revs the fuel regulator lifts and allows more fuel to the carb. At the same time the carb is being pressured as well. If the fuel regulator were stuck high I think this could give you a flooding problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks Rob,

When I get it back, I shall certainly work through what you have suggested.

Chris

Thomas_hmlo

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Fri May 27, 2016 10:04 am

All the best on the project. My ERA will be dropped off tomorrow for repairing too.