i new mini turbo owner who hasn't a clue!!

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
scott

i new mini turbo owner who hasn't a clue!!

Post by scott » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:02 pm

First of all hello everyone. I have resently perchased my first mini turbo with very little knowledge about these vehicles. So basicly i am looking for some advise/ answerable questions on these like what is the difference between the rover, austin, morris and british layland mini. I am so sorry for my stupididty but i have researched until my hand have run worn and found out very little. Many thanks
Scott
i also have a picture of the little beasty so add me on msn at jewellscott@hotmail.com and ill show you what a project i have taken on!! woo hoo the joys of motoring.

G96LUE

Re: i new mini turbo owner who hasn't a clue!!

Post by G96LUE » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi There

I hope this helps. The mini has changed very little over the years.
The minis had been produced on the same production lines for years it is mainly the owners that have changed.
If i remember right Austin and morris minis were produced seperately until the 70's when they were renamed as british leyland. they then changed to Austin Rover in the early 80's andthen dropped the Austin later around 1990.
I suspect the main difference between models produced just after the change of owners is the trim/paint colours? as these would be the eaiest things to change.
I know that the trim spec names changed over the years too, ie deluxe, super deluxe, city, HL, HLE, city E, mayfair etc as well as a range of special editions which started with the 1000 special in 1976, 1100 special in 79, sprite 83, mini 25 in 1984 etc.
in 1984 the mini range was treated to 1275GT brake setup with 12" wheels.
The main run of spec editions started in 1985.
I hope this is useful
See you at the shows at some point.
Darren

scott

Post by scott » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:00 pm

That was the best bit of knowledge iv had yet. well as i have a mini turbo would that be the 1275 gt motor or do they do different turbo motors??

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:21 pm

The motors have been essentialy the same since day 1.
They started off with a small bore A series block of 848cc which sat directly above the gear box, and later on a large bore block was introduced.
all other A series engine sizes are based on these designs with variations in bore size and crank to get different cc's.
yours will not be idendical to a 1275GT but very similar.
your block will be very similar, but you will not have the tappet covers on the back that i believe the GT will have.

your engine should be an A+ engine, which has bigger main bearings on the crank. you should have a Nitrided (specially treated for added strength) crank shaft in a turbo engine, and deeper dished pistons (10cc) to give a low compression ratio for the turbo to force more of the air fuel mix into.
You will also find that you will have double valve springs on your head to reduce the risk of valve bounce at high revs.

The head is also special as it has a slightly different chamber shape to normally asperated engines and has sodium filled exhaust valves due to the extra heat produced.

Hope this helps. :)

scott

Post by scott » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:41 am

Yes that has been a great help. just have to strip mine down and rebuild it.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:41 am

Yes that has been a great help. just have to strip mine down and rebuild it.