New Member from New Zealand

Talk About Anything In Here Whether Its ERA Related Or Not Just Keep It Clean.
arrian

New Member from New Zealand

Post by arrian » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:15 am

Hello everyone, I'm Arrian and I'm the new owner of the rather sad remains of ERA RJ1327 which is the ERA listed in NZ under the ebay lookout section at the start of the year.

Even though this car is missing many of the original parts, I decided it was still worth getting as I figured it was probably the only chance id get at owning an ERA, the asking price wasn't too bad and I didn't have to get it shipped anywhere.

I have one query which I hope someone on here can help me with. I'm currently applying for a special exemption to allow this car to be registered in NZ (as they don't meet our frontal impact standards) and I'm wondering if anyone has scans of ERAs production details which confirm how many cars were built. Although the register page on the website has all this information I was hoping someone might have something which is a bit more official.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Arrian.

dj clubby

Re: New Member from New Zealand

Post by dj clubby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:23 am

Welcome

Give Paul a pm on the fourm he might be able to help you

regards
James
GOT BOOST

kayball

Re: New Member from New Zealand

Post by kayball » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:43 am

Hi there Arrian.
As the father of Chris, the web site and register owner, I will explain the present situation to you and anyone else with an interest in verification of an ERA Mini Turbo. We have in our possession the original factory production records of all ERAs made. Believe it or not, these are handwritten in a hard cover notebook, which was kept at the time. Obviously ERA had no computers in 1989! Our printed record sheets published on the Web have been constructed from this information. We do however have much more information than that shown on the web lists. For all UK versions, with the letter prefix 'R', we also have the VIN number, Engine number and the original numbers for Ignition, Door and Fuel cap keys. Obviously, publishing this additional information is not in anyone’s best interests.
For the Japanese export version cars, with the prefix 'RJ' we have identical information up to and including RJ1085, but from this point onwards the key information has not been recorded.

In addition to the records described, we hold photocopies of most manufacturing drawings and work schedules. Some schedules call up templates for cutting but unfortunately details of these are not given.

The amount of work done by ERA to the original Mni City is quite incredible and, because of this it is very easy to verify a genuine car from an unofficial look alike. As an example, there are four modifications to the rear brake back-plates to accommodate a 0.5 inch rear wheel cylinder. The correct cylinder has a large bleed nipple, as per the front callipers, and the bleed location has been enlarged and the dowel pin locating hole as been elongated to accommodate it. On mst existing cars, including our own, these cylinders had been replaced by standard 0.75 inch cylinders, which upsets the brake balance front to rear. I won't detail all the modifications, as this would help the copier, but an original ERA register number, as shown on the brass slam panel plate, is also stamped deep into a certain body panel! With regard to verification for an official body, we are probably the only people who could now do this, but how do we register ourselves as having this authority?

Hope the above information helps anyone wanting to check details of their car, but for obvious reasons we prefer not to offer it, just to verify it..

Please PM me for any other information you may require.
Best regards.
Pete.