wheels

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
deanjr7

wheels

Post by deanjr7 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 pm

hi all
just out of interest has anyone notice a slight couple of changes between the wheels on the ERA.i have just purchased a spare set and on comparing them to the ones on my car ,the dish in the middle is quiet a bit deeper also they have a key-way slot in center as extra security ,also the valve dust cap is in line with the secure bolt , the key-way and the compomotive letters if you look at your wheels you will probably find the letteing and secure bolt are all at 90 degrees to the vale dust cap . the counter sunk bolts are deeper as well . these maybe small changes but just wondering if anyone else knew or can put light on why the changes
date on back is 4/1/89

G96LUE

Re: wheels

Post by G96LUE » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi there

there are two types of compomotive trackstar wheels that were fitted to the era to my knowledge.

one has a thin (about 7mm at the edge) center cap.
the other type is as you described. this has a center cap about 15mm at the edge with a slot that locks the cap in place.

i personally cant tell you why there are two types or even if the thick centers are early wheels or not.

the third type of wheel out there is what i have. these are rover ones and have the rover logo under the center cap. these are almost identical to the thin center era's but the era centers were about 1mm to big in diameter to fit. i had to machine my centers slightly to get them it fit. there are no trackstar markers on this type. the valve is mid way between spokes.

I have two genuine era wheels, one of each type, which i have got for my trailer. i just need 1 thick center cap.

one thing i still have to check is the offset. i know the thick center one has a different offset to my rover ones, but i have not checked the thin center era wheel. i just put it away in the shed.

you must check this if you are going to mix wheel types on your car as mixing offsets on an axle could seriously compromise stability in corners or even braking.

hope this helps.

Regards

Darren

deanjr7

Re: wheels + phillips stereo

Post by deanjr7 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:13 pm

hi daren
thanks for that its made more sense now, as a novice all information is much appreciated as this is all new to me .also i may be able to help you with a center cap as long as your in no rush i will contact you when i have one for you just might need painting ,iam trying to buy as many spares as possible for the near future ,
while iam in the tech forum i will also ask about the stereos fitted they say they were fitted with Phillips but mine has an ALPINE stereo and ALPINE speakers as i have owned the car along time i believe this was fitted by ERA as this car was used for the press and for demos ,as i have noticed they used the ALINPE STEREO on the bac-m40 so it would be possible to tie in with this date 1989 can anyone confirm this .its not a major concern to me as i have the Phillips stereo as well just curious
thanks for all your advice dean

kayball

Post by kayball » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi all.
Chris and I have a spare set of wheels which are different again from those types listed. We suspect that they are very early models but not too sure of this as origin is unknown.
They have a deep recess for the hub cap, but have a spacer ring fitted into this recess to reduce the depth to that of the original wheels. This looks like a modification from one type of wheel to another as described by Darren to make the centre caps universal. Unfortunately, the centre caps are marginally larger in diameter, to the extent that they will not fit the standard wheel.
We have in fact secured the spacer in position with adhesive to prevent them falling out whenever the wheel was removed. Not got immediate access to the wheels to check offset is the same, but will do this when I have time. The offset is 15 as I recall from the cast marking on the wheel (TRACKSTAR 6.0 J x 13 D1360 ET15) so this should be the same on both types of wheel.
Pete K

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:11 pm

hi again
the wheel shown in the photo gallery is of the same type deeper recess plus key-way to lock it in place as well as the securing bolt.
also the red car at gaydon r1010 have the same wheels deeper recess how to tell the difference is the bolt to lock center cap in is in line with the dust cap as with the shallower wheels the bolt is at 90 degrees to dust cap also have a check on the back of wheels there should be a date stamped
thanks dean

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:40 pm

These are the markings on my thin center cap alloy.
Attachments
thin centre 1.jpg
thin centre 1.jpg (88.53 KiB) Viewed 16748 times
thin centre 2.jpg
thin centre 2.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 16748 times
thin centre 3.jpg
thin centre 3.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 16747 times

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm

These are the markings on my Thick center cap wheel.
Attachments
thick center 1.jpg
thick center 1.jpg (76.97 KiB) Viewed 16745 times
thick center 2.jpg
thick center 2.jpg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 16745 times
thick center 3.jpg
thick center 3.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 16746 times

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:33 pm

yes that's the same as my markings think its the date not sure why they changed them thou

dean

ERA-1

Post by ERA-1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi all

My era need 1 thin wheel and 1 center cap so I can take that "rover" wheel out. Fi anyone have spare to sell.

Regards
Nisse