Problem Black One Fueling Again!

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
paul

Problem Black One Fueling Again!

Post by paul » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Got the black one running this evening, first time I got home from work and it was still light so enthused to do some mining!

Starts and runs with pump disconnected, reconnect pump and stalls as soon as you hear petrol returning to pump.

I checked it out a couple of weeks ago and it did same so now need to deal with it!

It has always been a git to start hot and when it first came in needed the fuel supply to be diconnected to start it so its back to how it was when it first came in.

It has had plugs leads filters cap rotor and a carb service kit.

Thoughts are it could be.

Needle valve not closing
Float full of fuel
Pressure Reg not working and allowing to much pressure and so swamps carb.

So planning on stripping and rebuilding carb fitting a new manifold gasket as always had a slight blow, fitting new pressure reg.

Any other thoughts?

Paul

millermilla

Re: Problem Black One Fueling Again!

Post by millermilla » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 pm

I think you've already said everything I would have guessed at. Definatly sounds like it's flooding. I would go with punctured float full of fuel or needle valve sticking. The pressure regulators usually fail open i.e will not hold pressure rather than hold too much pressure. Incidentally my ERA also takes forever to start when trying to start after a long run. It usually takes a good 5-7 seconds of cranking and it's not due to evaporation. If left to go cold it starts on the button. I have recently retarded the timing a few degrees and it so far seems much better on hot starting.
Keith Miller

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Not sure if this will help.

Remove the dash pot off the carb. (i assume it has oil)
Make sure the float and needle are not stuck. Mine stuck half way up and caused a similar problem.

With the dashpot off, earth the fuel pump wire to start the pump running (with ignition on of course).

look down into the carb body, is fuel flooding out of the jet?
is there fuel excaping from the overflow?
if yes to either of these then the float or needle valve is stuck open.

at least you can try these without fully removing the carb.

dj clubby

Post by dj clubby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm

When i had the problam with my Era

I changed the fusebox and it has not done it since
GOT BOOST

paul

Post by paul » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Had a chance to tinker about with it, and found the vent pipe from the carb was connected to the top of the pressure reg and the plenum was connected to the anti run on. Seemed to run ok like that as it drove to the top of Holland to IMM last year but is clearly wrong. Also found the balance pipe not particularly tight on the carb mounting flange, this has been replaced from original and held on with some jubilee clips, so tightened those up.

Will try running it again shortly but Erin is in bed currently and ERA is under her window and waking the baby mid nap would result in much ear ache!

Paul

paul

Post by paul » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Made no difference at all still cuts out, so carb of in morning.....

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi Paul,
How did you get on today?
I was just thinking about your problem and I wonder if your fuel pump is running when your ignition is on and that your oil pressure switch is working properly.
You probably know that when you crank the engine with the key it overrides the oil pressure switch and turns the pump on.
if there is a problem with the oil pressure switch when you release the key the fuel pump might be just switching off causing it to run the float chamber dry.
As soon as you crank the key again it will refill the float chamber and off you go again.

paul

Post by paul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 am

Didnt get a chance today had to go feed ducks instead!!

To start it I disconnect the fuel pump, crank it till it clears the flood and then starts and runs with the carb full of fuel and whats in the lines. When the revs rise a little reconnect the fuel pump until I hear the fuel returning to the tank, carries on running no problem. Leave it connected and it stalls flooded..

So

no electrical issues, cranking and it fills carb, running its getting enough power as it will flood.

Issue has to be either.

Excessive fuel pressure
Sticking needle valve
float full of fuel (my fav)
sticking float mechanism

Will try and get a few mins to tinker this week.

Paul

arrian

Post by arrian » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

My nat asp mini that has an electric pump had exactly the same symptoms a while ago and it was the needle valve not seating properly. A new one sorted it out.

paul

Post by paul » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:16 am

Managed to get a hour to tinker yesterday and pulled carb off, float was full to brim with fuel....

Will sort a new one bottom seal gaskets and stick it all back together.

Solved...

Paul