Brake light switches

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
An old original

Brake light switches

Post by An old original » Sun May 24, 2009 6:14 am

wondering if anyone else is currently have fun with the above..
In the first eighteen and a half years I probably only used two or three but for some reason in the last six months I've gone through on average, one a month.

paul

Re: Brake light switches

Post by paul » Wed May 27, 2009 9:29 am

What is actually going wrong with them? snapping off or just stopping working? have you took them apart to see if they are burny out or is it just that the contacts inside are not lined up?

Paul

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed May 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Have you had the heater intake pipe off recently. the one that goes from the inner wing to the heater.
I have only ever have had problems after replacing my heater matrix.
The problem i had was the pipe was pushing on the terminals and kept holding the lights on.

An old original

Post by An old original » Thu May 28, 2009 5:05 am

I have taken a couple the failed ones apart and it seems to be the fact that the actual area of contact is very small because the contacts on these meet on the edges rather than flat, face to face, and this itself causes more burning due to the current trying to go through such a small contact area.
The one that's on the car at the moment is the one that has lasted the longest recently, probably because it's the one I attacked with various implements to increase the contact area. I think that it all comes down to cheap & shody manufacturing, let's hope it's just a bad batch.