Engine Removal

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
G96LUE

Re: Engine Removal

Post by G96LUE » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 pm

taking lots of photos is excellent advice.
i have a feeling that i managed to get my engine out from the bottom with the turbo attached but i might be wrong.
my new turbo arrived from turbo technics on friday so i will be starting on mine too very soon.
good luck with the removal
regards
Darren

ERACanada

Post by ERACanada » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Ok, the engine and subframe have been removed. Here is a picture of it removed. Next step is he rebuild... :) Oh and we didn't have to remove the turbo, but to make things a little easier the rad, starter and AC pump were removed. We then put the subframe on jack stands and two of us lifted the body off while the other made sure everythin cleared properly. The car is heavier than it looks.
Attachments
Engine-Removed.jpg
Engine-Removed.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 22182 times

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:46 pm

You are right, the body is a lot heavier that it looks.
It's good you had help.
When i did mine, i did it on my drive all by myself.
I supported the engine / subframe on a trolley jack and undid the steering rack bolts to keep the wheels pointing in the right direction.
I then used another trolley jack and axle stands to lift the body inch by inch until i could wheel its heart out under the front.
I'm glad i had my garage built this year so i can keep dry and wind free while i'm working on it over xmas.

ERACanada

Post by ERACanada » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 am

It took a lot longer than the one winter I had planned. After four years I finally got it back together and running last summer. Still having trouble getting it to run smooth, seems like the brake servo locks up the brakes as the engine gets warmer, etc... Hopefully a bunch of the items get sorted out this spring. :)

Definitely should of taken some more pictures, but I put some up on a page I created for the car. http://turboera.com/

Jeremy

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:10 pm

Good read on the link :-)

Looking really good. Engine looks better than new. Well done :-)