ERA Refusing to start??

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
Jezza

ERA Refusing to start??

Post by Jezza » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Help....Been trying to rouse the ERA from its Winter rest for the last couple of weeks and having no success.

The car has been parked up in the garage pretty much since Castle Combe, it came out just once in October and was serviced September.
Previously apart from the pathetic battery which goes flat in about a week unless disconnected (necessitatng frequent recharging and the occasional bump start) - for a Mini it has been very reliable! But now having recharged the battery, it will turn over on the starter but makes virtually no effort to catch at all

With my limited mechanical knowledge I have checked over the car for absolutely obvious problems and changed the plugs (which should have been fine as the car was serviced in Sept) for some new one's but still no sign of any life whatsoever.

The engine turns over (until the battery discharges again) but makes no effort to start.

All suggestions as to what to check and a sensible process to follow welcomed - otherwise I will need to resort to calling someone out to come and look at it.

thanks in advance
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

r1076

Re: ERA Refusing to start??

Post by r1076 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi,

pull a spark plug and hold it with an isolated toll with the socket on ground.

Now let someone else start the engine. Now you should see sparks, if not, your Coil is damaged.

And also look, if the sparks smells of petrol.
Is your petrol pump working?

just a few ideas

wanted: Radio, front speaker, heater cover panel and radio panel

for sale: Castrol Sticker

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks - given up for today due to rain and darkness - no light in my garage.

Just to rule them out, I have changed the dizzy cap and amplifier module but still no sign of life.

Will check for spark when I have someone to help next week - beginning to suspect it is fuel rather than ignition related.
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

millermilla

Post by millermilla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm

If it's got a spark OK it's probably the fuel pump that has stuck. Get underneath and give it a few good whacks while someone cranks the engine over. You should be able to hear the pump running.
Keith Miller

r1076

Post by r1076 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 am

Hi,

a quick way to test the fuelpump is to pull the wire on the pressureswitch and hold it to ground while ignition is on.

Now you should hear it. If not, it stucks, or you have no voltage at the pump.

Greets from germany

wanted: Radio, front speaker, heater cover panel and radio panel

for sale: Castrol Sticker

paul

Post by paul » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Jeremy

It needs two things sparks and fuel, as Keith says most likely fuel pump stuck from not running for a few months. or maybe float in carb has stuck shut.

Give me a shout 76659900 Will bring a huge jump pack and get it going for you.

Paul

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Cheers guys for the helpful advice - I plan to have another crack at the weekend to see if I can coax it into life. I have no experience of fuelling problems so once I have ruled out electrics (only the coil left to check) I will need to get the Haynes manual out again and find the fuelling section this time.

Paul - many thanks for the offer of help, really appreciated - I will only ring you if my attempts fail. I am getting very acquainted with Mini mechanicals again after many many years of trying very hard not to get my hands dirty - last time I was fiddling with them there were contact points and condensers under the bonnet!

Hope to have it going in time to get to Stafford!!
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Replaced amplifier module this morning, checked spark by removing plug lead and getting sara to turn the engine over - all looks Ok so suspect it is not an electrical issue.

Checked the in-line fuse for the fuel pump (think it is the black in line connector near the engine fuse box with a 15amp fuse inserted) - this looks OK. Jacked up the back of the car and put it on axle stands and grovelled underneath to look at the fuel pump. Checked the connections and replaced one of the spade connectors that looked a bit ropey (but was probably OK),gGave the pump a few taps and tried again - still nothing.

Not entirely sure how to check if the fuel pump is the problem - suggestions welcome?
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Have disconnected fuel line on the carb side of the inline fuel filter under the bonnet and cranked the engine over and absolutely no sign of any fuel coming through so I am now convinced the problem is fuelling. The question is whether the pump has died or whether it is an electrical problem (wiring, relay, connection etc).

I think the in line fuse is OK and I think the connections at the pump are OK but not sure where the relay is located?

I will try to see if there is any noise from the pump whilst someone cranks it over.

I may need to call in more expert assistance.
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

paul

Post by paul » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Jeremy

Have you got power to the pump whilst engine is cranking? use a meter on the wires to the pump, should get 12Volt there whilst cranking. Fuel pump relays in-line fuses and such are secondary once it is running.

The act of cranking bypasses the fuel pump relay and oil pressure dependant system and powers the pump directly, this should fill the carb with fuel, if it did this it would start and run and then cut out after 30 seconds if this was the case then at that point start going over the relay and oil pressure dependant side of things.

Paul