ERA Refusing to start??

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
millermilla

Re: ERA Refusing to start??

Post by millermilla » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:04 pm

The fuel pump relay is a sod to get to it's a dash out job. It's bolted right in the middle behind the dash and is pink from what I remember. As Paul says check for 12v at the pump when cranking, if you've got 12v and an earth then the pump is probably stuck. If you've not got 12v check the fuse and then double check it as it's one of those crap bayonet types that corrode, burnt out, come apart etc. Also check the oil pressure switch is connected as it's easy to knock the wire and the pump relay needs a feed from the oil pressure switch.
Keith Miller

Ian Wheelwright

Post by Ian Wheelwright » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Jeremy

My era has had this problem on many occasions and has always been connected to the fuel pump in some way. Disconnect the fuel pump harness in the boot white with purple trace and black on my car and just put your meter onto the connections and if you have 12v then your pump is the problem. If not its your plug in relay its yellow or black and I have one if required its located behind the dash in the middle check voltage at the one side of the relay. My experience with my car and there's been a few its the pump.

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Sorry for not giving any help as i've only just looked on the site as it had been quiet for a while.
It sounds like most possibilities have been covered by everyone else.
If you havent got a volt meter, then a 12 volt test light would give you an idea if things are getting power.
It sounds like you have already checked for a spark (which you confirmed having) and it is a fueling problem.
If you want to check you have power at your fuel pump you can remove the oil pressure switch wire and earth it to the engine somewhere, with the ignition on the pump will now be powered.
If its not humming then you can remove the connectors from the pump and put a test light or bulb between the two wires. this will confirm there is power and that the pump has stuck.
If there is no power then it has to be the relay (if you have confirmed there is power at both sides of the fuse).

I had a similar problem with mine on Sunday. Its not moved since November and lives with the battery disconnected so not to fatten it.
Julia needed to use it on Monday as i was due in at work at 07.00.
Anyway, i connected the battery (Sunday 17:00) and turned it over till it went flat. :(
Put it on charge and tried again at 22:00. flattened again. :(
Put back on charge.
Got up at 06:00, head under bonnet at 06:15 in my office suit.
Put my spark tester on plug 1 and there was no spark.
My problem was dodgy connector on the coil. removed and replaced all 4 connectors several times. turned over and fired straight up :).
Off to work at 06:35.

I hope you get yours fixed soon too.
Good luck,
Daz

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am

Thanks for all the help guys - I have got a new pump off e-bay for £35 and am planning to have a go at fitting it today - fingers crossed.....
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Spent all day on it - horrible job.

Eventually had to drain the fuel tank to avoid losing half a tank of petrol whilst trying to connect new pump whilst lying on back in the cold under car.

Fitted new pump put a drop of petrol back into the tank and guess what - car turned over (until battery discharged) but no sign of any life and no sign of any fuel coming through to the carb......

Am now very smelly (petrol) and somewhat depressed having spent last three weekend's working on the car.

Paul - I will ring you Monday to see if I can prevail upon your much greater mechanical knowledge and vastly better testing equipment to see if together we can isolate the problem because I fear it has now defeated me.

Mini's - don't you just love em?
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

paul

Post by paul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 pm

No bother give me a call tomorrow.

Did you have power at the pump before you fitted it, was it pumping fuel at all?

Paul

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:04 pm

I was not convinced that I had got power getting to the pump as I did try to check it using a test lamp and probe with ignition switched on and no light was present.

Will ring in morning when I have had a break from Mini's.
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Jeremy, do you have a copy of the wiring diagram for the ERA?

If not, let me know and i will scan a copy for you and mail it to you.

The fuel pump is protected by two fuses. One is in the main fuse box and comes from terminal No3. The other is an inline fuse that has a white wire with green tracer going to the relay.
This is the power feed to the pump.
The Relay is powered via a green wire that comes from terminal No2 on the main fuse box. This is powered by the ignition switch and is earthed via the oil pressure switch (you havent replaced this have you as there are two types?)

power from the relay goes our on a white/orange wire and into the resistor bolted to the servo.
It then leaves the resistor in a white/purple wire (or white/orange) and heads towards the fuel pump. Positive feed at the fuel pump should be the white/purple wire.

Check it at the resistor when you crank the car (check both in and out terminals). As you crank they should both show power.

Power to the side that goes off to the pump is also supplied by a wire that comes directly off the starter solenoid. It might be worth dropping the grill off and making sure there is a good connection on the white/orange wire there.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Darren

Jezza

Post by Jezza » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Cheers Darren that sounds like good advice as to where to look - Paul has kindly voluntered to help so hopefully between us we should track down the problem.

The only wiring diagram that I have been referring to is the one on this site under technical.

I will have it going soon I can feel it in my bones, it will not defeat me.
Jeremy Harris

G543 TFK

R1041 BRG

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Jeremy,
Here is a scan of my wiring diagram.

I hope this helps

Regards

Darren
Attachments