Restoration R1028

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
prop

Restoration R1028

Post by prop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi,
I am starting the slow but sincere job of restoring R1028. A few of you know the appalling condition of this car and the massive amount of work involved. I know I spoke to Darren at Stamford Hall a few years ago. I have left the car untouched since I bought it. I am now stripping it and getting it ready to be looked at by a body shop to get all the dents out of it, but before that I would like to get the gunning gear right. I am not sure exactly what was taken off it before it was recovered so I would like as much information as possible to get right, the kit that should be fitted. I am working on the rear suspension and sub frame at the moment. The sub frame looks pretty new as do the suspension arms and back plates. The car was not on the road that long before it was stolen so the components would look pretty new. When I look at the information about the original work done by ERA, and the changes they were going to make to the original Mini, and then look at the microfiche they didn’t seem to have carried them all out. As the special ERA part numbers are on the microfiche those would be the special order items and all the rest would be standard. (My thoughts anyway)
So. First questions. Were the suspension cones reduced in length to lower the height? The microfiche lists them as a standard part. Was the rear brake cylinder ½” bore? Microfiche quotes an ERA number for car numbers R1001 to 1101. Were the back plates changed in any other way other than drilled for the new position for the dowel? The microfiche refers to information bulletin number ART 44 (March 1992) item No 70. Anybody know?
Any help would be appreciated. This is going to be a long project but well worth while. So as not to give up any secrets to unscrupulous people. We can arrange email or other private contact. I have photos but don't know how to get them on the site.

An old original

Re: Restoration R1028

Post by An old original » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:09 pm

In the rover manual it says the rear cylinders are 0.75" but have a read of this thread from Kayball a year or two back very useful

http://eraturbo.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic. ... 36&start=0

prop

Post by prop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for that. Really good information. That seems to sort out the brake cylinders and back plate.
Need the info on the cone length.
Also does everyone run Spax dampers?
Many years ago I restored a Mk3 Spitfire and put Spax on it and they packed up after about 18 months.
I am running GAZ adjustable at the moment on a car and they have been fine.
Martin
Attachments
(106).JPG
(106).JPG (77.05 KiB) Viewed 31657 times
(61).JPG
(61).JPG (75.29 KiB) Viewed 31657 times

An old original

Post by An old original » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't think the cones were anything special. The minimum ground clearance should be 6" but you'll find that over time, as the cones soften slightly the car will lower itself!! Because of the weight of the engine this will be more noticeable at the front.

As a side note I'm still using Koni's

From the pics you've posted it seems you've got some work to do but one thing that's worrying me is that fact you're missing the second cross beam in the cabin. Have you got this or are you going to fabricate a new one and weld it in?

kayball

Post by kayball » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi.
I have attached a drawing of the brake backplate mofification. A jig is called up but I am sure that you can work its exact position. I confirm the details supplied re brake cylinders in my earlier posting.
best regards
Kayball (Pete K)
Attachments
Brake Backplate Modification reduced image.jpg
Brake Backplate Modification reduced image.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 31641 times

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi Martin,

Glad to see you have started the restoration.
I assume you managed to get your other projects out of the way.

I'll have a look through my info on the cones for you and let you know what i find.

I fitted hi lows to mine and set them a little higher than an era should be so i can get past the speed bumbs down my road.

When Ian came to my house last year he only just made it.

Anyway, i hope to see your car finished in the near future.

Oh, by the way, i couldnt find tweed suitable for the interior so i had my front seat covers made using real leather. If you need info on my trimmers please let me know.

All the best, Darren

prop

Post by prop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:38 am

I have a set of drawings that Darren gave me a while ago for the pattern for the cross member. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem as the originals have left marks in the flooring where they were bolted.
I think I will leave the strut the standard length and if it needs to be shortened at a later date then I can do that without too much trouble. As Darren says speed bumps are a problem

Thanks Pete the drawing is great. Where on earth did you get it from?

Thanks Darren I suspected the fabric would be impossible to get and had decided to go full leather. The info on the trimmers you used would be useful.
My other projects are still ongoing but I decided I had to start the ERA. I don't think it will be on the road this year. May be Summer 2012.

Next Questions
Is there a spacer between the front steering arm and the hub?
I had a feel under the front of a car at a show and it felt like there was a spacer bar. I couldn't get to see though.
Are Triumph Spitfire track rod ends used or some other?
Cheers Martin

kayball

Post by kayball » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Martin
The track rod ends are Triumph Dolomite or Herald as I recall.
I have almost a full set of the drawings used by ERA to do the conversion from City to ERA. I was a bit bothered about copyright originaly, but I assume that has lapsed with the company. Not too sure about this. Chris and I acquired the drawings and build schedules from a former ERA engineer, along with the data base of issued cars. This is what we produced the web Registers from. We also have all Ignition, Fuel tank and Door key numbers for each UK car!
The spacer block is fitted to all front hubs on the ERA. It is supposed to reduce bump steer by raising the steering arms. We were advised never tamper with these spacers, as the longer bolts were especially made for ERA as this is a serious safety issue.
I have not got drawings for the rear cross member, as they were manufactured outside ERA.
Any further help re drawings etc. I am happy to provide, If I can!
Regards
Pete K

prop

Post by prop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks Pete,
I am intrigued about the petrol tank numbers. Why would they number them, or am I just being thick?
I could do with information about the petrol tank. My car has a tank from an MPI car, with the pump in the tank. I was contemplating getting a new tank and fitting a return but have no idea where it entered the tank ,what bore it was, and where the outlet inside the tank discharged.
While in the boot do you know where ERA sourced the washer bottle. I don't have one and I have looked at many auto jumbles over the years and have seen nothing like it.
I have a ERA steering wheel. The one with the emblem on. Have you any information an which cars it was fitted to? I think my car had the Mini wheel with the Turbo badge
I was also wondering Darren, would you have the old material from your seats? Or anyone else who has gone to full leather for that matter?
If I do go to full leather then I will have a small supply of rare fabric recovered from the seats. Probably.
Thanks Martin.

kayball

Post by kayball » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Martin and All.
Regarding the washer bottle - I have no idea. Not a serious problem, however as cannot be seen when boot covers are fitted.
I have no drawing pertaining to the fuel tank, as again outsourced, but have attched a drawing of the connections. I suggest you try to see an original tank. Chris tells me that the MPI tank with pump produces too much pressure for turbo regulator as fitted, can anyone comment on this? I dont know if the main fuel feed and return pipes are still fitted to your car, if not then from Fiche they are 37H 7148 and 7150 respectively and are 100 inch (2540mm Long) You should be able to get diameter from this Rover number. Other bits could be copied, again from another ERA. Ask Darren what he did. Is your rear wiper still there? If not, it appears to be a standard front wiper with a different cam cog fitted to reduce the sweep arc. Alternative cam is shown on Fiche.
Hope this helps a bit but sorry I have no additional drawings on this area of car. Best regards
Pete K
Attachments
Fuel Tank Pipe Connections reduced.jpg
Fuel Tank Pipe Connections reduced.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 31595 times