Restoration 1028 (Cutting off roof)

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
prop

Restoration 1028 (Cutting off roof)

Post by prop » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi
The first body shop I have got to give me a quote for the bodywork has said that they would be better taking the roof off and replacing it.I wasn't expecting that.
My thoughts are that the least cutting out and replacing the better. After all there is no rot just panel damage. Has anybody got any thoughts?
How far can replacement go before the vehicle isn't the original vehicle?
If a vehicle is 50 years old and has most parts replaced through ware and damage over that period then it isn't original, is it?
Martin

Ian Wheelwright

Re: Restoration 1028 (Cutting off roof)

Post by Ian Wheelwright » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi
If all parts are of manufacturers spec and all manufacturers processes are used ie number and position of spot welds sealer used ect ect then it would be as the manufacturer made it but in the Mini's case you will be hard pushed to find one that good due to that good old corrosion problem as for your roof there are around 150 spot welds on the seam and it is a task to replace without the sunroof. Take it to a good dent man and let him have a go and take it from there I worked at Rover and now work for MG and roof changes were a major job there and usually carried out in body in white stage before paint ect good luck.

paul

Re: Restoration 1028 (Cutting off roof)

Post by paul » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Fixing a roof either way is a huge job, a really good dent man would be best route then repair it from there.