Jacking points

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
cleecarnut

Jacking points

Post by cleecarnut » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to ERA club and ownership after purchasing R1067 from Keith last September. A simple, may be stupid question, how do you jack up the car with the body kit fitted? Do you use the same jack as a standard mini on the same jacking point under the front floor?

Thanks for clarification.
Chris.

an old original

Re: Jacking points

Post by an old original » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:40 pm

There should be the standard scissor jack provided and if you look under the side skirt, below the doors, you should find the jacking point welded to the sill. There should also be a small, square cut-out in the side skirt next to it so the scissor jack will fit. This will lift one side of the car.

If the sills have been replaced at some point the jacking points might not have been replaced so you will have to resort to using a sensible place on the rear or front sub-frame...

edited to add...
If you want use a small trolley jack like I do, you can slide it straight in from the rear onto the subframe to do the back end but the front is a tad more tricky. If I want to lift the front right, I turn the steering wheel fully to the left then slide the trolley jack in at an angle, behind the wheel and onto the subframe just behind the bottom arm, but be careful!!

robr1006

Post by robr1006 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am

When using a trolley jack on the front of mine I drive the front wheel onto a piece of 30mm chipboard - this gives the extra clearance needed to get the jack under.

Welcome, by the way - I wondered who the owner of R1067 was. Have you used the car much? What area are you? Have you any shows planned for this year?

robr1006

Post by robr1006 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:03 am

Just read your other post! So R1067 is in France!! I hope you enjoy the car - and I guess we wont be seeing you on The London to Brighton this year!

cleecarnut

Post by cleecarnut » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello "robr1006" and "an old original",
Thank you very much for the detailed description on where to find the jacking points, I have a look tomorrow in day light. Any body planning to go to the IMM (International Mini Meeting) in Italy in May? My other show plan this year will be in October the British Classic car show in Morge in Switzerland. London to Brighton unlikely as it takes 8h to drive from here to Calais. If any of you is flying to Geneva for skiing, give me a shout, we can meet up in person.

Thanks for the advise.

Best Regards.