Radiator Surround Rubber

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
robr1006

Radiator Surround Rubber

Post by robr1006 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:19 pm

I dont know if anyone else has solved this problem already.

I am missing the radiator surround rubber shown on the parts listing as ERA1153.

Clearly this part was designed to aid airflow by sealing the gap between the inner wing and the radiator.

It appears to be made of a sort of laminated rubber and is probably cut from a square and then pulled out chinese lantern style.

The sketch on the parts list does not give a very accuarte drawing of this part - probably because it was copied from the BL part number 14A7286 which was fitted to some 74 - 92 cars.

I am wondering if this part is actually the same.

Any advice or comments appreciated

prop

Re: Radiator Surround Rubber

Post by prop » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:27 pm

I made one from 150mm x 3mm rubber strip. The trouble is I had to buy 10 metres, which, including vat and postage came to over £50.00. I stuck it together at the rear top edge with super glue. It is also bolted to the rad cowl at the joint so it can't be seen easily.
I tried to track an original one down with no success.
So I made one.
I have no idea if it will stand the test of time, but it fit quite well.
With careful trimming it fits snugly to the inner wing.
Its one of those jobs where the rad comes of and back on so many times it could fit its self!
If you want some of the rubber strip I have left over to make one, PM me and I will arrange to send it to you.

This is the site I bought it from

http://www.rayflexrubber.co.uk/rubber-strip.html
Attachments
IMGA0381.JPG
IMGA0381.JPG (44.37 KiB) Viewed 8683 times
IMGA0380.JPG
IMGA0380.JPG (34.74 KiB) Viewed 8683 times
IMGA0379.JPG
IMGA0379.JPG (50.08 KiB) Viewed 8683 times

robr1006

Re: Radiator Surround Rubber

Post by robr1006 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 am

Thank you for your reply and pictures. I have already ordered from eBay for £19.50 including delivery a piece 3mm thick 1metre x 1.4m. I figured that 1.4m should be long enough to form the square. I was going to put the join at the bottom corner so that it does not show. I have also purchased from eBay a set of leather/rubber punches for £5.45!!!!! so that I can get the bolt holes in and apply a radius to some of the cuts!

When I have completed this task I will draw a plan before I install it.

I had another look at your restoration thread - inspirational!