Turbo ?

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
mini-haribo

Turbo ?

Post by mini-haribo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Can someone tell me where to buy a new turbo, or why my turbo smoke so much as it does ?
Jacob Rasmussen

robr1006

Re: Turbo ?

Post by robr1006 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:16 pm

You say you are suffering from smoke - it depends how the car is smoking as to the cause. You are correct that the turbo could be the reason, but the other possible cause are the valve stem oil seals - a much cheaper and easier fit. You ask why the Turbo smokes - if it is the turbo. The bearing in the turbo has its own oil feed, the smoke is caused by the oil seal in the turbo leaking allowing engine oil into the inlet manifold or exhaust.

I believe ( and please others with more experience confirm or correct this!! ) That a worn turbo oil seal will tend to smoke a lot on tickover but will clear a lot on acceleration. So every time the engine returns to tick over the smoke will develop to a consistent amount. Worn valve stem oil seals will smoke a lot on initial start up and then clear a little and then smoke a lot on engine overrun.

If the problem is the oil seal in the turbo the only solution is to renew or refurbish the Turbo. I can make no recommendation based on personal experience - hopefully others from the forum will be able to do so.

prop

Post by prop » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm

You need to do a lot of investigation.
A good replacement turbo or a reconditioned unit is not cheap. If it isn't the bearing leaking oil but something else the whole exercise will become expensive. Start with the cheapest and easiest first and try to eliminate things as you go.
Do a compression test to see that all is OK with the rings and valves..
Have a feel for play in the turbo bearing. You could feel a small amount of play side to side but there should be no play end to end.
When I rebuilt my turbo with a new stainless bearing there was a little play side to side. When it fills with oil and it gets hot the play is taken up. My car doesn't smoke. Obviously if there is a lot of side to side play that could be the problem. As robr1006 says it depends how the car is smoking as to the cause.
How many miles has it done?

Thomas_hmlo

Post by Thomas_hmlo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:34 am

Talking about new turbo, I just got one rebuilt by AVR Classics.
Definitely not cheap. They only accept exchange so I had sent out an old unit to them.
Took several weeks to send off to Turbo Techincs for rebuild.
There is an option for me to choose - hybrid turbo or standard. I choose the standard version.