help refitting a turbo to jap speck era

Any Technical Queries? This is the place to ask/give advice.
sean

help refitting a turbo to jap speck era

Post by sean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I need some help, I have receintly imported a era from japan it did not have a turbo on it when it arrived I am currently converting it back to turbo speck but I am not sure where some of the fuel air brether ect pipes go.
Does anyone have a jap speck era that I can phone and go over where all the pipes go?

Any help would be great

G96LUE

Re: help refitting a turbo to jap speck era

Post by G96LUE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Sean.

i am not sure if there are any major pipe differences to that of a uk spec with regard to the turbo opreation, so i will try to describe where pipes go on a uk turbo.
looking from the near side wing you can see the wastegate actuator sitting just above the turbo. there should be a pipe out of this which loops round and into a 'T' connetor on the turbo. from the other side of the 'T' a pipe comes up and over to the pressure reducing solenoid which sits in top of the upper radiator bracket.
from the plenum chamber (looking from the front now) there is a union sticking out to the left. A pipe comes from this and loops round behind the plenum where there is a 'T' piece spliting the pipe. from the 'T' one pipe goes through the bulkhead and into the ecu located under your glovebox (aircon vents). the pipe off the other side of the 'T' goes into the top union on the LH side of the fuel pressure regulator.
the fuel feed from the tank goes into the union on the right of the fuel pressure regulator.
fuel goes to the carb through a fuel filter from the lower left union on the FP regulator. the only union left on the FP regulator now is the big one going straight down. this is for the fuel return and it must be joined to the large bore return pipe (it is about 8 to 10mm diameter, cant remember, but hopefully it is still in place).
looking from the offside wing you will see the carb has 3 unions. the rear most one is the fuel in to the carb. the one just in front of it is the one that goes float chamber vent valve which should be located on the servo bracket. this can be blocked off if you dont have a valve.
the third union upper most one, just under the suction chamber of the carb, has a small pipe which goes into the union on the spacer block between the carb and the inlet manifold.
nearly there. on the inlet manifold there is a banjo union which has a pipe to your servo. a pipe comes out of the top of this and goes to the right and into a red (or sometimes grey) egg sized 'T' breather joint. on the other side of the egg there is a 90deg bent pipe into a 'T' on the air feed pipe coming through a hole on the inner wing by the wipe motor.
the other outlet on the egg goes to the crank case breather on the timing chain cover.
back to the banjo on the manifold, there is a small union which is for your boost guage
The last pipe is the air pipe into the turbo it self. this comes from the 'T' next to the inner wing/wiper motor and goes to the tube union on the turbo. this is a bugger to get clamped up due to lack of room, but if the engine stabiliser bars are removed you can rock the engine forward to create more space.
i know this is long but i hope it helps.
i am sure Paul will be able to correct anything a miss with the jap variations.
speak to you soon
Darren
p.s i have attached some photo's which might help.
Attachments
turbo2.jpg
turbo2.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 14418 times
engine2.jpg
engine2.jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 14418 times
engine1.jpg
engine1.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 14418 times
Last edited by G96LUE on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sean

Post by sean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Yes there are more pipes than this can you email me your number to sean.davison@virgin.net and I will call you to see what extra pipe work there is.

Thanks Sean

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Sean
i have emailed you my number but i dn't know if i will be able to help much if the pipes are unique to jap spec ones.
they have all sorts of strange breethers etc, and the aircon has pipe which i have no idea where they go at all.
Paul has an imported jap ERA and he will probably be the best for advice on these ones.
Regards
Darren

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 pm

me again.
found this in my photo archive.
not sure how unmolested it is, but it is a jap engine bay.
Regards
Darren
Attachments
jap engine1.jpg
jap engine1.jpg (98.08 KiB) Viewed 14405 times

sean

Post by sean » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Hello Darren thanks for the chat today I will be making a go at hooking it all up thursday and hopefully have it up and running with the turbo fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks Sean

sean

Post by sean » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Darren any chance you could email me your contact number again the guy I asked to make my carpet for the ERA has lost the templates you made me also have a question about 1 more pipe I have found?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Thanks Sean