badges

Share Pictures Of Your ERA Mini Turbo's Here.
deanjr7

badges

Post by deanjr7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:31 pm

just a few pictures as whats been done so far i think the badges need more attention on the silver as this is awkward to get to look nice any ideas . the one badge is genuine
the center cap is made from aluminum resin, the diameter has been adjusted as well as the depth to suit the other wheels they just need the hole drilling and painting have a look see what you think
Attachments
IMG00522.jpg
IMG00522.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 18210 times
IMG00521.jpg
IMG00521.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 18210 times

G96LUE

Re: badges

Post by G96LUE » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Dean.

these are looking pretty good so far.
not sure about the best painting method though on the badges.i suspect the originals were run over some sort of paint roller.

one thing you could try is put some bluetack on the back to act as a handle.
sprey some silver paint onto a sheet of plastic which is on a flat surface (maybe put a news paper under it to give it a little flex) then press the badge onto it and then remove to dry.
might be worth a go.

i will wait to see how you get on.

All the best

Darren

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:11 pm

hi darren.
i think your probably right iam using paint maybe too runny i will get some spray and have another go i suppose practise makes perfect .
i think your idea with the 3 d plastic printer would get a better job but as iam experiencing its down to cost with so little numbers required
i think that's why nobody bothers reproducing parts for the ERA .
i will keep trying till i get ther all the best dean.

G96LUE

Post by G96LUE » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:26 pm

What are you using to make the moulds and the badges?

i have seen metal badge copies for sale before.

i've been trying to source suppliers for various parts over the years.
i know who has the tooling for the wings, front seat frames and varoius other steel parts, but he has no premesis at the moment.
As soon as he has his new building is up and running (hopefully later this year) i should be able to get items made to order.

I also have the trimmers details for the front seats now.
They used to be Rovers repair trimmers.
They have pattens taken from my spare leather passenger seat but they are not cheap. My 2 covers cost £500+vat. This did include making the pattern from the original by dismantling it and rebuilding it though, so i suspect £400 a pair in the future (depending on hide costs).

i have not managed to find out who made the rear seat moulds yet. i suspect i won't, but you never know.

Anyway, i'm waffling a bit, so will leave it there.

All the best,
Darren

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 pm

hi darren
have brought a 5kg tin of resin 5kg tin hardener and 25kg bucket 0f aluminium powder i have taken resin moulds of my originals and done a few mock ups as you can see i can get aluminium castings of these but foundries want a minimum order eg to set a die to cast the wheels they quote £500 before any casts have been made
i do believe if you can get originals they are far the best but if you cant as you and others probably know the way iam doing it, i thing is probably the most economical way. if you want me to get you some badges i will cast some blanks so you can have a go at painting them yourself if you prefer let me know and i will cast some for you all i ask is just to cover the cost of materials
as we don't live too far from one another no doubt we can arrange something between us
hope to keep in-touch all the best dean

paul

Post by paul » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:13 am

Hi

Looks like a good solution, I bought a reproduction of Ebay a couple of years ago which looked the business but didnt flex so would be good for a front one but not a rear which needs a little flex. I let it go with the Red one to Ireland last year.

Talking of which they say they are bringing it to IMM this year so will contact them and ask them to join the group.

one way would be to cast the badges so they are silver and then spray them satin black and then buff them on glass sheet wrapped in cloth dosed up with t cut and will cut through the satin on the raised bits..

I'd love a couple of sets.. one for a little project that I'm working on and always nice to have some spares.

Regards

Paul

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 am

hi paul thanks for the respond will try that
l don't mind casting some resin blanks off just to recover cost of material as-long as you can paint them as iam not happy with the result yet cheers dean

arrian

Post by arrian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:02 am

Hi, those look good to me. I'd also be interested in a set, however it would involve sending them to the other side of the world!

Arrian.

paul

Post by paul » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 am

Hi

Thanks PM me yor paypal address and how many beer tokens you want.

Regards

Paul

deanjr7

Post by deanjr7 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm

hi paul tried your idea today it worked a treat thanks for that owe you one there
i will send pics later as iam of out. plus out of interest if you don't mind being honest how much did you pay for the last badge you brought as i just need to cover the costs iam not out to make a profit just fair on both sides just an idea ile send a pic later cheers dean.